Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Snow rocks!

Sunday was a great day in my life. You probably know that I'm a HUGE fan of the Denver Broncos football team... actually, I have been since the old Orange Crush days of Craig Morton and the like. You see, I grew up in a Dallas Cowboys household... so, being the rebel that I am, I HATED the Cowboys and still do, except for the few years when they were smart enough to hire Barry Switzer to be the head coach.

Anyway, it DUMPED snow on us in Denver last Sunday... all the season ticket holders were trying to find anyone to take their seats... so I got to go with three of my buddies. We lost, but it was an incredible experience. Here's a story from the game here, but after you click on it, scroll to the bottom and click on the Raiders-Broncos photo gallery. CRAZY STUFF!

It's amazing to see nearly 70,000 people go completely nuts over grown men playing a game. I certainly admire the athletic abilities of the guys who CAN do that, but I have to wonder about those of us in the stands. What is it about sports that makes us mortgage our homes, time with our families and jobs to get hold of a season ticket? Why do we cheer until we lose our voices for a game? Why do we go to so much trouble to do something that ultimately doesn't really matter?

Every Sunday, our churches are filled with droves of "fans" in church who would no more applaud and cheer in church than they would sit and be silent at a Broncos game. Friends, God has done WAY more for us than John Elway, Barry Switzer or any other athlete or coach could ever do. He saved us from our sins, from hell and most importantly, He has saved us from ourselves. is there anything more worthy of a huge cheer and "the wave" than that? I think not.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Rick-O...

Its time for a new post!! I depend on you for my weekly does of entertainment. Hope you had a good Christmas.