Monday, November 22, 2004

Hangover

The word "hangover" is defined by the Heritage Dictionary as:
  1. Unpleasant physical effects following the heavy use of alcohol.
  2. A letdown, as after a period of excitement.
  3. A vestige; a holdover: hangovers from prewar legislation.
Can I say it? I have a hangover.

Not from massive (or even slight) alcohol consumption, but more along the lines of definitions number 2 and 3 above. We just returned from our annual fall youth group retreat at the Deer Creek Christian Camp in Bailey, CO yesterday. We had over 80 teens and adults yesterday that heard phenomenal messages from John Ricketts, the youth minister from the Del City Church of Christ in Del City, OK and worship led by Seth McDowell, the Worship & Family Life Minister at the Mayfair Church of Christ in Oklahoma City, OK. The theme of the event was "got mission 5:16?" which refers to Matthew 5:16. Numerous kids shared the desire to change their lives, whether by wanting to study about becoming a Christian, or to reorder their lives to give their God-given mission top priority. On top of all that, we had nearly a foot of the most beautiful, champagne powder snow I have ever seen. It was simply beautiful watching it sparkle and fall among literally thousands of aspen trees at an elevation of nearly 10,000 feet. WOW, how can people be atheists when surrounded by this? I don't know.

Of course, like I do every retreat... I've lost my voice. Sometimes when that happens, I wonder if that's God's way of telling me to SHUT UP and start using a different "sense"... my hearing. When this happens to me, I think of Psalm 46, which tells us to be still and know that He is God. Not only that, but I certainly need to just listen more to what other people have to say... my wife, my own kids and my youth group kids. Let he who has ears, hear! HA!

Pray for Cameron, one of our high school guys. He broke his arm last night and is likely gonna have surgery today. Also, pray for Matt and Jeff Mastalka's cousin and grandad... they were in a serious car accident last Saturday night... their cousin is in a coma.

Write a comment if ya want to. It'd be nice to know you read this stuff.... but not necessary. I can get my self-esteem from other sources, if I have to! HA!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Lost your voice? No way! I've never known you to do that. Just happened upon your blog tonight for the first time. Are you going to keep it up? I thought of you yesterday. I have a term paper rough draft due Monday, and I was really stressed out because I have only written one sentence so far. All of a sudden I see Rick telling me to lighten up oh so long ago when I was in high school. Thanks for the advice - it still carries on...