Monday, April 18, 2005

The Calm Before The Storm

I haven't had a lot of time in the past couple of months to write. I hate that because I really LOVE to write. At my previous church, Del City Church of Christ, I used to "have to" write a bulletin article every week. The deadline drove me crazy a lot, but I always managed to crank something out I was proud of. Since I don't preach much, I guess it was my little way of getting stuff off my chest. I sort of miss the pressure of that deadline, as weird as that is to say!

Well, NCYM is going well. The website is up and running, although I'm still waiting on final approval of the registration form. Communications is a primary focus for my year as president of the board. I've learned that communicating (or OVER communicating) provides more results than improving the content a lot of times... usually the content is good! But, if people don't know about something, they can't take advantage of it. The Regional Coordinator structure is working well. I think a lot of guys will be able to contribute to the success of NCYM. It will also help the board to expand who they know, so that future boards will not be just from the "good old boy" network... who you know! I'm not criticizing, just that method is the only one we've had.... and it needs improvement.

I've decided to take a break from grad school... I'm overcommitted with NCYM and such. I am not sure if I'll go back to school. I like it, but a lot of times it seems like it's doing work for the sake of doing work, and not contributing much to what I need in my ministry. I guess I'm starting to put all my eggs into the one basket of "doing youth ministry until I die". I don't want to be a preacher!

As far as Scripture goes, what's been on my heart lately comes from Ephesians 4:12-13 "Their responsibility is to equip God's people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ, until we come to such unity in our faith and knowledge of God's Son that we will be mature and full grown in the Lord, measuring up to the full stature of Christ." I've always struggled with whether I should spend more time with the one lost sheep than the ninety-nine found ones... I've usually gone after the one primarily, but I've made a pretty strategic change in my philosophy this year... I've spent a LOT of time trying to develop more leadership, attempting to equip my student leaders to do that. It has really strengthened the core of our youth group, but we still struggle with reaching out to those that aren't plugged in. Maybe in God's time, He'll reveal how that needs to happen.

By the way, if you haven't seen the pictures of our recent trip to the Navajo Reservation in Arizona over Spring Break, it might give you a good laugh. We (I) sunk BOTH vans up to the axles in mud and had to walk 15 miles to get help. It's close to the worst thing that's happened in 17 years of youth ministry... I'm fortunate if that's as bad as it gets.

Hey leave me a comment, even if it's just to say hi. Seems like I only have 6 or 7 people reading... could be because I'm a loser and never update my blog. I'll try to do it once a week from now on, just like my old bulletin article days!

11 comments:

Jason Retherford said...

Rick,

I have been looking forward to the next conference since the last one ended. Jennifer and I have such a wonderful time, and we are stoked about the conference being in Nashville this year.

I don't want to be a preacher either! Whew, glad that is off my chest. Sorry to hear about grad school, but I can relate with you, I have overextended myself this semester, and my family is usually the one place that suffers because of all the time I put into studying, or supposed to be studying but acutally checking to see if Rick has updated his blog.

Thanks for what you "older" guys do for us younger guys in youth ministry!!

Barrett (youth minister) said...

Barrett Vanlandingham here (Fort Gibson Oklahoma) Hi Rick, I appreciate your blog site and what you have to say. I took 3 grad classes through Harding Grad School in Memphis. I really appreciate what they taught me, which was basically that I am capable of finding out stuff, and to not be discouraged when I don't fully understand something. But, like you, I have chosen to sit out for now. Youth ministry (if you are doing your job) leaves very little room for burying yourself up for days on end to do grad work. take care, Barrett

rkb said...

You'll be a good steward of NCYM, and taking a break from grad school to do that is just one more growth experience. Fortunately, grad school does not inevitably end in the pulpit (God is good). Even as we blog, more and more people are taking a more serious look at youth ministry at the grad level.

Grace and peace, Ron

Anonymous said...

WOAH RICK!!! How are things up in Collie-radio??? [Colorado...I know, Im bad at those sort of things...] Anyways, Hope things go great with your youth group and NCYM...Keep on keepin on

In Him,
Aven [Evan McDonald-Del City]

Karen said...

That is too funny about the van in the mud!! Funny to me, since I wasn't there. Maybe Acappella's "Rescue" will accidentally be timed just correctly again in the year-end slide show, if you still do those.

Anonymous said...

15 miles! That is a really long way. You probably got stuck because of all of the girl's make-up and luggage. Remember caboodles, you gave us so much grief for those. They are back, I couldn't believe it when I saw them at Target the other day. I hope you are doing well.

Love,
Rebecca Tome

Guatorean Daddy said...

Hey Rick. It's been awhile since visiting your seldom used blog. Your last post--thoughts and pic's--were worth the trip on over. Hope to see you at some point this summer!

Amy said...

Rick,
When I was a freshman in high school I told you that I wanted to be a full time mom. You told me that you thought I would be a cool mom and that stuck with me as a high compliment and a challenge. I found your blog through Karen's blog and just had to write to you. I hope that you are well and that you know that you are remembered fondly.
Amy Dodd Peterson

Anonymous said...

Rick,
I too found your blog through Karen (where would we all be without her?). I will keep checking back with you from time to time so see if you are updating.I echo Amy in saying that you are remember foundly. Later, Ginger Miller McBride

Chris said...

Rick if you are going on those same roads again, I would suggest something with 4 wheel drive. Just an idea. Keep up the good fight.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha Kelly Luallin told me about that van incident. I wish I could have been on THAT one.